History Histrionics.

I had my first tryst with academic history ten years ago when our school vice-principal, came in rather sternly and talked to us about civilizations. Her pedagogy was rather unconventional, where she would hit the students on the head with her knuckles if they didn't repeat correctly what had just been taught. It didn't matter who gave the wrong answer. Anyone could be hit. Such is the foundation of my knowledge of history— a foundation of fear, and dare I say, it is flawed. Geography is one of my favourite subjects, politics is too important to ignore, not knowing science makes me feel dumb and economics is what the world works on, so who'd miss that. History, on the other hand, hmmm...I don't like it very much.

Stop. No. 

This is just some bullshit I concocted a few minutes ago on my way to the washroom and went through with it. What's happening is that I am having a hard time completing a standard UPSC book— Medieval India by Satish Chandra. Most likely I'll complete it today, but I won't be satisfied. It has too much information and from my research, I have found that the cost-benefit ratio of this book from the examination perspective is quite-less. Now if I was enjoying the book, it'd be a different story, I'd just sail through it, reading for fun, but sadly that's not the case. There are a lot of names, even more terms and so many and I can't stress this enough so damn many wars and rebellions that no one can be expected to remember all of them, right? ... Right?

I have read half the book in its totality and for some topics, I have outsourced notes from the internet. But I can't help but feel that I am cutting corners and that this will come to haunt me.

I guess this is the type of trade-off I'll have to make a number of times in my preparation. In my heart, I am doing the topics that I feel are relevant thoroughly, and low-key breezing through the others. Additionally, I am in the initial phase of my preparation and as I progress and gauge the importance of topics, I'll come back to them if needed. You have to ride your luck sometimes, I hope it turns out well. Amen.

Observation: In the last few chapters, Mr Chandra builds up excitement about a story and just blue balls it by saying the story is too well known to be elaborated. This happens in cases like Dara Shikoh's escape, Shivaji's escape from Agra etc. Like, no Mr Chandra some of us weren't paying attention in class to know the stories of these men if they were ever told and they aren't that well known. Please elaborate.

Comments